On Tuesday BuzzFeed published explosive allegation in the form of a memo written by a former British spy detailing extensive and unconfirmed Trump connections to Russia and Russian Intelligence. Here are the facts.
- The memo published Tuesday evening by BuzzFeed has been circulating around DC since at this summer. Multiple journalists had the opportunity to publish it but chose not because they lacked evidence, that said…
- The BuzzFeed published memo is not supported by any facts known to the public.
- The memo was NOT published by 4chan but by a “former British intelligence Operative, whose past work US intelligence considers credible. The author of the memo was not British intelligence at the time but was working as opposition research for anti-Trump Republicans and Democrats although he used his “spy contacts”. The Wall Street Journal named the former British spy as Christopher Steele.
- The FBI is investigating the memo. They have been unable to confirm many details including the accusation that Michale Cohn met with Russian intelligence in Prague.
CNN’s Jake Tapper reported that the FBI discovered it was a different Michale Cohn that did go to Prague.
- CNN reported that Both the President and President-elect were briefed on a 2 page summary of Russia interference in the election which included, in part, details about the memo. Former NSA counter-intelligence offer pointed out, that the IC does not brief “the top” unless what they are reporting is credible. NBC contradicted the CNN report.
- Now a BBC correspondent reports “there’s more than one source, more than one tape & more than one date of allegations in Trump intel dossier.”
- The Guardian reported that the FBI requested four warrants from FISA courts to monitor members of Trump’s team over their connections to Russia.
Take the report with a grain of salt but the fact that the IC is taking this seriously gives it some credibility. I would also suggest reading this article, here.
Updated on 1/11/2017 at 4:15pm
Updated on 1/11/2017 at 5:50pm
Updated on 1/11/2017 at 9:27pm